Tuesday, December 31, 2013

goals for the new year

Note the word “goals” in the title and not “resolutions”. Something about the word “resolution” makes it sound like I’m about to sign my soul away. Seriously. A goal sheet is a fun project I can look forward to but a resolution sheet looks like a huuuuuge commitment that I’m just not ready for… even though the list may be the exact same.

Anyways, it’s been a while since I’ve done anything like this. In fact, I think the last time I made a list was in middle school for an assignment.

So here it is in no particular order:

-run a 5k. I call it a mini marathon, Ariel calls it cute. I keep calling this 50k and if it wasn’t for Ariel, I would have wrote 50k instead of 5k. Why 50k? 5k, 50k. They both sound like it would take forever to run.

-take photos of my kids once a week. I’ve seen some of my favorite bloggers do this but it didn’t seem right  for me to just jump in mid-year. But keeping a photographic memory of my growing children? Genius.

-more time in front of the lens. I know I’m not the only one who prefers to be behind the lens. It’s a bit of a challenge for me because I’m really, really shy and don’t know what to do when I become the subject of a photo. Seriously though, what are you supposed to do?

-learn to cook a new dish every week. This is embarrassing but Ariel cooks so much better than I do. I have a few dishes that I’m pretty darn good at (or at least I think I am) but it’s only a few dishes. Ariel once said, “oh boy, how are we going to survive if you don’t cook? We’re going to starve” and it kind of hurt my feelings. So I’m going to change that this year and demand we have a cook off at the end of this year. ;)

-finish 20 books. Now I can easily finish 20 books in less than half a year but that was before Leo. I barely have time to finish one book these days and I miss it.

-spend more time with friends. I was a little hermit the entire year of 2013. I’ve cancelled out on friends so much more than I can count and it’s kind of hard to believe that they still consider me a friend. Sorry guys! I met with two of my closest for lunch a few days ago and I had not realized how much I missed them until I saw them! It was also nice to have a few hours to myself (even though I had both kids with me) away from home.

I tried to make my list as realistic as possible and I think I succeeded in that! Now here’s to a brand new year!

No comments :

Post a Comment